Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Four-letter words

I'm moving, folks. Again. This is why, despite my new-found blogging dedication, I haven't posted anything for about 4 weeks. I should work on another cake mix tweak or something.

I've moved a lot. I should be used to it. This one is a relatively simple, local move. But I still hate it. While I look forward to settling down in our new place--I'm in love with it--I really, really hate the process of getting there. My mother-in-law always says that "move" is a four-letter word, and she's right. It doesn't have the hard, staccato consonants and harsh syllables of traditional cuss words, but in my mind, it's the worst of them.

In random updates, I got feedback from the bride that she loved her cake, and that she got compliments during the reception that it was the tastiest wedding cake some of the guests had ever had. She also ended up with a whole sheet cake left over (I forgot how tiny the waitstaff tends to cut slices), and she brought in the leftovers to work THREE WEEKS after her wedding, and still got compliments. When I heard that she brought it in three weeks later, my first thought was, "Dear Lord, I hope no one dies." My second thought was, "Still getting compliments? Either someone is lying through their teeth, or there is a large percentage of people in this world who have been deprived of good cake." Turns out she had actually frozen it for a while. But still.

And speaking of good cake deprivation, I bought a slice of red velvet cake from a schmancy bakery on a whim on the Fourth of July. I was going to make my own "Red Velvet and Blue Suede" cake, but with the packing and the moving and all, I lost my gumption. So I thought, "Huh. This is supposed to be good...I'll just pick up a slice."

Man. What a disappointment. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't great. It was overly-schmancified. Sometimes, good old-fashioned comfort food flavors just need to be left alone. Ah, well. I've learned my lesson. And let's get this straight: I'm not the Goddess of Cakes, here. Not even close. Some store-bought or bakery-bought cakes are wicked tasty. I can think of a particular chocolate fudge one right this minute... but sadly, a lot of them aren't. I'm just on a life-long journey to discover what things I need to make on my own, apparently.

Up soon: a 3D turtle cake for a 2-year old's birthday party!

1 comment:

Musings on life...and the delights of baked goods.