Wednesday, July 18, 2012

A Zoo of a Baby Shower

 I'm pulling stuff out of ancient history here, people. Because of the move, I don't think I'll have anything brand-spankin' new to post very soon, so--in order to try and stick to my promise to try and post every week or two--I pulled these photos off my computer from nearly two years ago.

A little-known fact about women (at least little-known by those who aren't women--namely men and small children) is that sometimes we just don't like baby showers. We don't! We don't know anybody else there. We're starving and all there is to eat is itty-bitty quiches and cucumber sandwiches. We really don't want to play the game where someone melts a bunch of candy bars onto diapers and we all have to guess what kind of candy bar now looks like it squirted straight from a baby's bottom. (Snickers, anyone?) But we go because we feel a sense of duty to the mom-to-be. Or because when it's our turn, we want people to show up, too.

Oh, don't get me wrong. Some women enjoy baby showers. Sometimes even I enjoy baby showers. I like the ones where I know all the people and we eat chips and salsa and drink beer (except for the mom to be) and eat cake and tease each other mercilessly. I even enjoy the mini quiche and cucumber sandwich soirees, but not always. And let it be known that I have nothing against itty-bitty quiches and cucumber sandwiches. I happen to like both of them--just not when I'm so hungry that I'm this close to putting a few dashes of hot sauce on my arm and chewing it off--but I have to be polite and reserved and only eat two mini quiches instead of two dozen. Don't pretend like it hasn't happened to you. We both know it has.

So when the mom of a friend asked if I would make cupcakes themed to "Baby Animal" for her daughter-in-law's baby shower... well, I said yes. I had to, right?

These cupcakes were based off of and inspired by the hit cupcake cookbook, What's Up, Cupcake? I made a few changes, but it's generally the same. Using breakfast cereal, mini M&Ms, pull-n-peel Twizzlers, some chocolate melties, and food coloring, I created this little baby shower zoo.

Then I went to the shower, set up the cakes, and examined 6 different diapers full of melted chocolate poo--and won. Oh--and they had guacamole, so it wasn't so bad, after all!

1 comment:

  1. Ha! I don't know that I'd do so well at the candy-bar-poo game! Old guacamole could be pretty convincing too. Eww. The cupcakes however, are adorable!
    Pass an itty bitty quiche, please. :)

    ReplyDelete

Musings on life...and the delights of baked goods.